Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's A Marshmallow World


I love marshmallows.  I love 'em covered in chocolate, rolled in coconut, dunked in hot chocolate, straight out of the bag, smooshed between graham crackers and I even love those little dehydrated ones in my cereal. So, naturally, one of my very favorite Christmas songs is "A Marshmallow World", which I had never heard until a few years ago.  It ranks up there with that hippopotamus song, and "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth".

In the spirit of the holidays, and the fact that we seem to be out of anything yummy to eat in this house, I made marshmallows.  I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I'm going to share it with you anyway.  You should definitely make them this year.  They are amazing by themselves and totally out of this world in a cup of hot chocolate.  In fact, what a thoughtful holiday gift for someone on your list!  Wouldn't it be nice to receive a basket with mugs, cocoa mix, a few candy canes and a bag of homemade marshmallows?  Add in a movie and some popcorn and you've just given an awesome night out at home!  Enjoy!

-Kristi-

PS What is your favorite holiday treat?



Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows
makes about 40 1 1/2" super yummy treats

2 1/2 Packets of unflavored gelatin
1 cups cold water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
powdered sugar

1.) Whisk gelatin and 1/2 cup water in your mixer's bowl.  Let sit for about 30 minutes while you are working on the next step.
2.)In a small pot with candy thermometer attached to the inside, mix remaining water, sugar, corn syrup and salt over low heat until sugar is dissolved.  Once sugar is dissolved, turn the heat up to high and cook, stirring constantly, until temperature has reached 244*, the firm ball stage. Immediately remove from heat.
3.) Working quickly, transfer sugar mixture to gelatin.  Beat slowly until evenly combined.  Gradually increase the speed of your mixture to high (between 6-8 on a Kitchenaid) and let beat until mixture has tripled in volume.  This will take about 15 minutes. (While you are waiting, be sure to soak your pan and utensils in hot soapy water!)  Add vanilla carefully as it tends to splatter.
4.) Dust the bottom of a lasagna pan with powdered sugar.  Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly.  Dust top with powdered sugar, coconut, sprinkles, cocoa, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips etc.  You may also choose to add one of these to the bottom of the pan after dusting with powdered sugar. Let stand uncovered for several hours (or overnight).  Cut into 1 1/2" squares, toss in powdered sugar or sprinkles or whatever you used on top and bottom.

*Since my marshmallows are still in the "overnight" stage, I'll come back and edit this post with pictures after the marshmallows are finally cut.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite Christmas treats are: homemade turtles (sooo easy to make), sugar cookies, poppycock, AND white chocolate almond nugat! Really, it's too hard to pick just one!! :) I'm definitely going to try out this marshmellow recipe though...if you make them with the coconut are you suppose to toast the coconut first?

    Jen
    (I'm thebellefleur on etsy -and jlava on IG - but when I follow your blog I show up as the Hand Crafted Cottage!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jlava with the awesome Christmas cookies!! Thanks for reading my blog! I have never made nougat, I'll have to try that sometime, I'm thinking of making strictly candy this year, no cookies. Toffee, marshmallows, nougat, fudge...mmmmm!

    You can toast the coconut if you want, but if you do I suggest flaked vs the shredded coconut. Toasting it gives it a nuttier flavor. I think it's delicious either way :) let me know if you do make them and what you think! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete