Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Holy Cow My Legs Are Tired!



For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to convince myself that I really do love runnning and that I really want to go for a jog with my husband sometime very soon.  Problem is, not only are our schedules comepletely booked and finding the time to go when it's not pitch black out is difficult, but also he used to be a soccer player (he even played for Team USA when he was younger) which means that he's used to running around for 90 minutes at a time.  Me?  I can barely go 9 minutes without wanting to barf up my lungs.  Nonetheless, we finally made the time and-thank you so much, Nike-just did it.  We went for a run in our neighborhood yesterday. I gotta say, it was pretty nice.  The running part sucked, of course, and the whole I'm-not-dizzy-I'm-just-vertically-challenged-is-this-normal-holy-cow-I'm-dying part was pretty awful but the walking part sure was nice!!  We found a woodsy trail in our neighborhood and even The Roo enjoyed herself!  She got to go "real shasht" (Roo speak for 'fast') in her stroller. 

I'll tell you what, I'm not usually one to set any expectations on a situation, any situation, so all of the dreaded thoughts and feelings of anticipation of how much it was going to suck made it just a little bit easier.  I made it through, Hubby didn't run like an athletic maniac and he was very encouraging.  As soon as we got home, I downed about a gallon of water while he made us a healthy lunch.  We plotted our next jaunt as we ate.  These are the kinds of things I need to be doing with him.  Small little bits of time where it's just us, making an effort to better ourselves with each other as encouragement. 

I am already looking forward to the next time we go.  I am hoping I will be able to push myself to go just a little further.  I am also hoping that it won't happen again until tomorrow (or the next day or the next day!) because OH MY WORD my legs are sore!  But, that's because I went for a two and a half mile power walk, up and down steep hills while pushing the wee one in the stroller.  We went to the library and picked up a stack of a thousand pounds.  Books!  I meant books.  I had about twenty on hold that went straight to the bottom of the Mutsy and away we went!  Back up and down those darn hills where my poor shins screamed in agony every step of the way.  Feel the burn, Shins, feel the burn!  They don't call this area Lake Hills for nothing!  I wonder if I can take a flatter route next time?  Who am I kidding...

Anyway, I am feeling pretty good today.  I even bought a book on blogging.  I'd like to make this something worthwhile.  The Roo starts preschool in less than a month (eep!) and I will need to use my time wisely.  I have a few goals for 2012, blogging is just one of them.  How about you?  What are your biggest, proudest recent accomplishments?  What are your goals for 2012?

-Kristi-

1 comment:

  1. My biggest recent accomplishment is losing 27 pounds since September 1 of this year! I totally credit my success to an app I use called 'My Fitness Pal' and the support of my awesome hubby and friends!!
    My goals going forward are to continue on with my weight loss...11 more pounds to go....and to set up my sewing area in my basement so I can have a dedicated space for my projects (as opposed to constantly packing up and unpacking my things on the kitchen table!!!)! :)

    P.s. GOOD ON YOU for pushing yourself and going out for a run!!! Last year I had worked myself up to running in a 5km long race...it felt great crossing the finish line!! I started with running for 30 seconds then walking for a minute. Eventually I built myself up to 12 minutes run and 1 minute walk! :)

    ReplyDelete