Sunday, November 09, 2014

Book Review: present perfect: 25 Gifts to Sew & Bestow

Did you know that there's only six weekends left before Christmas?? SIX!

...........................thud............................

Ok, let me just pick myself up off the floor, brush myself off. I will not panic, I WILL NOT PANIC! Know why? 'Cause I have a new book and six weekends to sew. Six weekends is really twelve days, and just think of all the days between those weekends, really there's PLENTY of time, right? Right?? Work with me, k? I'm about to save your hidey ho on the holiday gifts.


This is such a cute book! Betz has obviously put her best work into it and has given us a project for just about anyone on your list. Inside the pages are full of tips on how to make your gift one of a kind and how to make the most of what you might already have around the house. Each project is defined by skill level with a cute little pincushion illustration to help guide you in the right direction.


The book is broken up into three chapters/sections: Memorable Milestones (gifts for special occasions), New and Little (things to make for the little ones) and Happy Home (gifts to celebrate the home). 

Some of my favorite projects, and the ones you'll find under the tree from me, are The Gentleman's Travel Case:
Surely that beats a gallon size zip-top plastic baggie, right? 

The Sweet Life Pillow
I was surprised to see that this project only has two pins in the pin cushion illustration! It's so detailed, I thought for sure it was going to be hard! (Mom gift, check!)

The casserole carrier on page 131:
{at first glance, I thought it said "It's Your Lucky Day casserole daddy-o" but no, it doesn't! Ha!}

Hopefully my sister isn't reading this blog post because the Casserole Daddy-O has her name all over it! She has a crazy huge vintage Pyrex collection! 

And, oh my gosh look at this! Forest Friends Finger Puppets:
How cute is that?? My two year old nephew would love it!
I'm definitely making this for him! Even that worm on top of the stump is cute and that's saying A LOT considering I have a worm phobia (ridiculous, but true.)

Honorable mentions, and not pictured, go to the Market Shopper (mother-in-law gift for sure!), Hexie the Turtle Floor Pillow (Roo), Tagalong Teddy (no one in particular, maybe I'll just make them for the satisfaction of creating such a darn cute toy!) and Color-Blocked Felt Bins (maybe my friend Katy could use them in her kitchen? She could store her dry goods like pasta or dried beans?)

I have flipped through the pages of this book so many times and each time it's like looking at it for the first time. Something catches my eye and I think "That turtle is so cute!" Or "Oh my gosh, how did she make that bear quilt?" I think you're going to love this book. 

Pick it up at the Interweave online store. It's on sale for $19.88, how great is that? (It was $26.99.) AND!! You don't even have to wait for it to be shipped to you because it's also a digital download. Awesome!

Happy Crafting!
-Kristi-




1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great project book. Can't wait to see you make all these (via instragram - I won't be peeking through your window or anything like a stalker).

    ReplyDelete