Monday, September 16, 2013

Mini Quilt Swap


Well, hi!
http://comfortstitching.typepad.co.uk/comfortstitching/2010/01/raw-edge-applique-tutorial.html
The other night I was lying in bed wide awake at about 2:00 in the morning.  Do you know what I was thinking about?  The hideous wood-paneling in my living and dining room.  HID-E-OUS. I really despise it, but there's not much I can do because the house is just a rental...sigh... 

http://artisania.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/lil-fox-super-sale/


Someone that I follow on Instagram posted a picture of their quick-fix design wall.  She had stapled Warm 'N Natural quilt batting on her walls, which in my opinion was pure genius.  I started fantasizing about doing the same to my walls.  I laid there awake, picturing the blocks and partial quilts that I could pin up there and how pretty it would look.  Then I imagined the splatter of ketchup that could easily happen with the resident four-and-a-half year old and how pretty that would not look.  Then I imagined the price tag for all of that batting and well, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

http://stitchindye.blogspot.com/2009/05/more-mini-quilt-monday.html


But how could I make my walls nice?  There had to be a way to cover them.  I really dislike the background that it creates, and how orange it makes everything appear in pictures, especially at night.  So I was awake, yet I was dreaming.  Dreaming of all of my talented friends and my fabric stash and this super sweet little mini quilt that my friend gave me.  (picture tomorrow...it's dark already so now the lighting sucks.)  And, I had an idea when I woke up: I'll make a bunch of mini quilts in all sizes and style!  Yeah!  It's perfect!  Buuuut...it'll take a really long time and I kinda want them all now.  What to do, what to do.  I GOT IT!  I'll host a mini quilt swap because everyone likes a swap, right?  And we all love our Happy Mail, so why not?  I say we do this.  Tell your friends, have them tell their friends, let's make stuff for each other, it'll be awesome.  Quick, sign up and then go take a peek at the quilts I'm showing you here.  Gather your inspiration and get ready!  This will be more fun than...I don't know...it'll be more fun than most things, how's that?

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2012/01/free-pattern-day-hearts-and-valentines_04.html


So, here we go with the guidelines/suggestions:
1. You will be assigned a partner according to the answers you submit, so think carefully!
2. Be sure to give as much information as possible so your swap is a happy success.
3. Quilts can be as small as 6"x6" and as big as 24"x24".
4. This is a secret swap, give us sneak peeks or even full views, but don't tag your partner!
5. Due dates to have your mini quilt in the mail is Friday, November 15.  This gives you two months to get through quilt market, finish up your WIP's, clear your cutting table off and stock your shelves.
6. Because the ship-by date is so far off, and this is a secret swap, please make every effort to send your swap between November 8-15 to keep the secret a surprise.  (although, I'm not sure this is the right way to do it for a secret swap, does anyone have any thoughts on this?)
7. Come join the Flickr group to share all of your pictures, gather ideas and meet up with new and current friends.
8. Use the hashtag #schnitzelandboominiquiltswap to check out what everyone else is doing. 
9. Feel free to send goodies with your Quilts, if you want.  It is nice, but NOT necessary, so don't feel obligated to do so and don't feel bad if you don't. 
10.  HAVE FUN!
11. Follow the link below to sign up:


Happy Swapping!
-Kristi

*This is the quilt that Kathy gave me*
*************


PS The quilts above are not my creations. 
They are linked to the rightful owners, and posted here for your inspiration.






35 comments:

  1. We just moved into a rental, but my MIL is the landlord. So we can do basically anything to the house that we'd do to our own place. The dining room and kitchen are paneled and MIL and I want to paint it. My husband balked at the thought of covering all that real wood. But it's so dark!

    Also, I use 60 inch wide white felt as my design wall. Super cheap. :)

    Thanks for hosting the swap. I think I just may join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FELT!! You're a genius! And you're lucky that your MIL is your landlord. Paint it! Or rip it down and hang bead board on the bottom half if they really like the look of it (WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYY???) Thanks for joining :)

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking yesterday that a mini swap would be fun - glad you had the same thought :-) Signed up and reposted on IG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you joined! Thanks :) I can't wait to see the quilts as they're being made and received. I love this!

      Delete
  3. All signed up and ready to go! Should be fun! Thank you for organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question: when will you assign swap partners? I signed up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign-up's are until the 23rd, plus a few days to organize, I'm thinking the 25th or 26th? Sound ok?

      Delete
    2. And, also, thank you very much for signing up!

      Delete
  5. I'm in! Sounds like a great idea, and it's been awhile since I've participated in a fun swap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've signed up. Thank you for hosting this, I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO in!!! I need miniquilts for my walls at my new house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Great minds think alike! Bring on the mini quilts! I'm tossing around the idea of a Mini Quilt Bee...

      Delete
  8. I signed up, looking forward to this swap. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in, I've been wanting to try something like this. Thanks for hosting. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a good time for all, right? Thanks for signing up!

      Delete
  10. Wow, so many people have been recommending I sign up! Guess I had to ♥ Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happily surprised with the outcome so far! Thanks for being a part of it :)

      Delete
  11. Ill like to enter ,but I dont have a blog ,Im on instagram. So can I , my email. is Millie4283@hotmail.com. By the way this will be my first .I live in Puerto Rico and we dont have any bee nor rnthing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria! We'd love to have you participate. You don't need blog, so don't worry about hat. Be sure to fill out the form on the link at the end of the above post, otherwise I won't be able to give you a partner. Thank you so much for participating!

      Delete
  12. Ok - I'm in - button husband won't be thrilled I've added to my plate AND ill need tons of happy reminders! ;D xoxo kg

    ReplyDelete
  13. I signed up and read about your swap on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just signed up! Sounds like fun! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to sign up now unless it's too late? I can't find a sign-up date!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just signed up, my very first swap! Excited (and a little bit nervous)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds great! I signed up (maybe twice? Sorry about that :) )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am ready to choose a design but I want to wait and see my partner's preferences... I heard it got extended until today for sign-ups. I hope we find out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kristi, I signed up for the swap. This is my first. I don't think I gave you nearly enough info. I wasn't sure if you wanted my likes regarding fabric or other craft and hobbies. Pls advs if you need more info. I guess I shd have also included that I love text and dots.... IG and Pinterest I'd I'd luckycharm93635. Looking forward to the swap thanks for organizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bekah you simplybekah@gmail.comJune 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM

    Is it too late for me to join?! :-)

    ReplyDelete