Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Real Quick: a little sewing tip

I just finished sewing my first "Maisie" dress by Violette Field Threads a few minutes ago. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! I'm anxious to see if my daughter will actually wear it for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow or not. She says she will, that she has to wear green, so we will see, won't we?

I made it using one of my most favorite fabrics, Crazy Love my Jennifer Paganelli for Free Spirit Fabrics:

Isn't that pretty? I thought I would pass along a little trick of mine, in case you found it useful in your future sewing endeavors. 

You know when a pattern says "Trim seam allowance in half; clip curves"? Well, that whole curve clipping part is really a thorn in my side. I know it's necessary in order to make the garment curve and lay flat, but geez! It takes forever and it's tedious! 



Aha! What about pinking shears? Oh yes, my friends, pinking shears. You can trim that seam allowance AND clip your notches all at the same time! Check it out:

How about we look a little closer?

I'm about 1/8" away from the seam line. Can you see that?

And how does it look when it's turned right side out and pressed? Won't it be puckery? Allow me:


Perfect! I highly recommend owning a pair of pinking shears. They're an essential part of a sewing kit!

And now, the finished dress:

Do you have a favorite sewing trick? Let's hear it in the comments below! Happy sewing!
-Kristi-

2 comments:

  1. Depending on how confident you are with a rotary cutter, a pinking rotary blade is also a good option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is genius! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete