Saturday, May 02, 2015

Book Review: Sew Classic Clothes for Girls


My teeny tiny newborn baby girl graduates from kindergarten in three weeks. How is that possible? It seems like her first day of kindergarten was either three days or three years ago! 

{first day of kindergarten}

On Friday, May 8, she has a graduates party to attend. A parents-drop-your-kid-and-run type of thing. It's at her school, they have a party instead of a graduation ceremony. The thing is, my husband works every night but Monday so it'll just be me at home. All by myself. From 7:00-10:00 in the evening. 

What the heck am I going to do with myself?

I guess I better sew the little graduate a new dress for her last day of school, right? How perfect that another book should land in my mailbox, especially since that new book is The Cottage Mama's new one, Sew Classic Clothes for Girls.
{Sew Classic Clothes for Girls 
by Lindsay Wilkes}

There are 20 different things to make in this book and six adorable chapters full of all the details and tricks on how to do it. 
{how cute is that outfit?}

I want to make just about everything in this book, starting with this:
{pocket smock top}

Roo loves pockets, she's always putting something in her pockets (flowers, bark mulch from the playground, empty balloons). When she doesn't have pockets, she sticks these things-even the bark mulch-in her shoes. That little smock top practically has her name all over it! 

{vintage ruffle capris & shorts}

I'm not sure if she would wear those pants, but oh my heck aren't they cute? 

{dainty darling dress}

I do know that she would wear the Dainty Darling Dress, and that may be the one I end up making. Isn't it precious with its puff sleeves, buttons and big old-timey bow? I love all of Lindsay's designs. She really knows how to keep a little girl modest yet modern! 

{size chart-a nice variety!}

I also appreciate that she has included ideas and tricks for making your handmade garments look professionally handmade (not homemade) with the use of trims and buttons. There are lots of little tips and ideas found in the pages of this book. She's even got a few tips on how to finish your seams, which is extra handy for me because I won't have my serger until July. (It's still in that storage unit in Seattle.)

{little lady coat}

Maybe when Roo starts back up in school as a first grader I'll make the above outfit, isn't it adorable? 

If you have a little girl in your life, you should consider purchasing this book. All of the designs are so sweet, and so precious, just the way we think of our little girls, right? 

Sew Classic Clothes for Girls: 20 Girls' Dresses, Outfits and Accessories from the Cottage Mama
By Lindsay Wilkes
KP Craft/F+W; $27.99
http://amzn.to/1J9tKzn

Happy sewing!
-Kristi


1 comment: