Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Book Review: Mollie Makes Embroidery

By the Editors of Mollie Makes

Interweave/F+W; $19.99

bit.ly/1iEETKT}


I do love a good craft book. One that I can keep going back to flip through the pages and see something new every time, no matter how many times I've looked. This book is definitely one of those. And it's only $20, which is a small price to pay for such inspiration! I LOVE Mollie Makes!


{How cute is that cloud/kitty pillow? I want to make it for my daughter; maybe for Christmas?}


Mollie Makes Embroidery has sixteen (!!) projects and twelve different techniques. This is definitely a well-rounded book. Each project is organized, beautifully photographed, inspiring to look at and features the artist/designer's bio. I especially love that. I'm always interested in who is behind the scenes. (Maybe that's why I love Instagram so much?) 


For this book review, I decided to try out a project. I chose the Bargello Cuff Bracelet on page 80. I'm a sucker for a bracelet, and the colors in this one drew me in. Of course, that didn't stop me from making my own color choices, right?


{cute little pouch by Instagram user @sewfairyface, isn't it divine?}

I thought I would stitch in the evenings, when I'm usually too tired to be at my machine. I found myself stitching at night, in the morning, in my car, at Starbucks...just about anywhere!

{I made a mistake right where the needle is. Oops!}

I haven't finished it yet because I made a second, MUCH bigger mistake and I haven't the energy or the heart to fix it. So, I'm letting it be for now. I'll probably finish it, let the mistake take over as a design. For now, it's happily living in the pouch with the book and floss.


This is what the pattern should look like:
{can you see the difference?}

{Every project has helpful, easy-to-read diagrams and instructions.}

I'm pretty excited about this book. If you're interested in hand sewing, embroidery, cross stitch...anything with a hand needle and thread, this book is for you. From basic embroidery stitches to the more complicated, plus crewelwork, silk ribbon embroidery, counted cross stitch, canvaswork, Bargello and free-motion machine embroidery, I think it's safe to say that there's something for everyone and a project for just about any occasion.


That's the end! No really, that ^ is the end of the book. Just as cute as the rest of the book! Teehee. 

Next Wednesday I'll be reviewing another Mollie Makes book, the second review in a month long series. I hope you come back because at the end of the series, I'll have a drawing for a copy of today's book. Hooray!

Happy crafting!
-Kristi

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great book! I love that cloud kitty pillow too. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete