Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Real Farmers Market!

(A man plows his field behind four horses)

I've taken a couple days off of "work" to visit my mom in Tennessee. Today we went to a Mennonite community to visit their farm market. I have never been to a community like this, but have heard of them, of course. I wasn't really sure what to expect, although I had an idea of what we might see.

(Fields as far as you can see.)

The farm is about 40 minutes from my mom's house, all gorgeous country scenery. Just exactly what you picture when you think of Tennessee.

I knew we were getting close to the Mennonite community when we saw this house:

All logs and stone, very old fashioned looking. It was pretty cool. It wasn't very far down the road from our turn-off:
Needle Eye Lane! I want to live on a Needle Eye Lane! I had to jump out and take a picture, of course. Aren't you glad I did? Haha...

Anyway, we pulled down a narrow country lane and meandered back about a half mile until we came to the market. 

Inside were yellow watermelons, tomatoes of all varieties, red potatoes, baking and yellow potatoes, yams, beets, lettuce, sugar loaf cantaloupe etc etc etc. I took some pictures for you:

The white onions were HUGE! I'd say almost as big as a soccer ball. I grew onions once, they were barely bigger than a golf ball. Fail.

Beets, yummy!

Potatoes on one side, tomatoes on the other.


Patty Pan Squash-so good sautéed in butter and garlic!

Green beans

Big beautiful heads of lettuce. GIGANTIC!

The biggest zucchini I've ever seen.

We even bought four cinnamon rolls, hot out of the oven. We'll eat those for breakfast tomorrow. (I can't wait!) Roo wanted to go outside and pet the horses. On the way, we stopped to test out the water pump.
(Can you see the visitor in this picture?)


A few steps away was Tony, a very social and friendly horse owned by Eileen:

Roo desperately wanted to ride Tony. Lucky for her, Eileen had a delivery to make and offered to take Roo along.
(Very exciting stuff!)

Afterwards, we stopped by the animal barn to see what they had inside. We thought maybe we'd get to see a chicken or two.
Better yet, there were bunnies!

And puppies,

And ducklings,

And pigs.

It was the perfect way to spend the morning. I'm looking forward to coming back, maybe a little closer to fall when maybe they'll have pumpkins or yellow onions or sweet peas. Roo would like to go back and get that bunny!

Tomorrow it's back home and back to my sewing machine. After all, I have a whole slew of Potty Mouth Pouches to complete!

Until next time!
-Kristi-


1 comment:

  1. Last fall, on our way down to IN, we stopped and spent a couple days in Berlin, Ohio, it is one of the largest Amish community, I have been told that 60% of the population is Amish. It amazes me every time. We took a tour, the guide was very nice and took us on the back roads and told all about their way of living. It was quite interesting. We visited a house, they were part of an older Amish Community and still live without electricity (of course) but also without running water and doesn't mow the grass...kids walking around barefoot, they earn money by making baskets, I had to buy one...:) Horses and buggies everywhere, younger drives them and also bicycles...So much to say...It was like being in another part of the world.

    I truly enjoyed looking at your pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete