Wednesday, January 02, 2013

One Good Deed A Day: Day One

Available here!

A few weeks before this past Christmas, I met a friend for coffee in Seattle.  We decided to do a little shopping on our way back from visiting our mutual friend, Keli, at Dry Goods Design. (Absolutely adorable shop, by the way, check it out if you're around!)  Now, I can't remember the name of the shop that I picked up this journal, but it was such a great little place; full of gifts and treasures and gorgeous, well-made, inexpensive furniture.  The kind of place that I could spend hours in, perusing all of the wares and dreaming up interior decorating schemes for my house.  I made only one small purchase: the One Good Deed A Day Journal.  The purchase was only small in stature.  The gesture in itself, if completed, is huge.  I generally try to live in a way that is kind-hearted and thoughtful, but occasionally I find myself being cynical, sarcastic and sometimes just plain bitter.  I don't like this about me because I find that it reflects a certain type of negativity that I don't want my daughter to pick up.  She is a very happy, observant and thoughtful child and I'd love if those traits carried on into her older childhood and beyond.  Why not continue to nurture such endearing characteristics so that she can continue to be a person who is much admired and respected?  The kind of person that brings joy and light to the world, the kind that everyone wants to be friends with?  She inspires me on a regular basis to be a better person, to enrich my life with happy thoughts, positive feelings and good deeds.  So, when I saw this little book lying on a table top, it sort of reached out to me and asked me to buy it.  I decided that if I could turn this small purchase into a journey and share it with all of you, then perhaps we could all benefit from it.  Are you interested?  Would you like to join me?

There are 365 suggestions in this journal Every page has a few blank lines to fill in so that the writer can reflect on their done deed.  I am taking to my blog for these reflections and I offer you to do the same in your own blog, if you like.  Or, I would absolutely love to hear about your experiences right here.  Just leave a comment with your thoughts and/or feelings about your Good Deed.

Today's Good Deed (chosen at random) was: Register to Become an Organ Donor.  I wasn't sure how to do this, so I googled "organ donor registry" and chose the one that seemed the most straight-forward.  It took me maybe eight minutes, but I am now registered to donate my eyes (corneas and "full globe") heart, pancreas, liver, kidneys and lungs.  I'm not really sure why, but I declined the donation for "Upper body bone", veins and skin.  I would like to learn a little more about those three donations before committing to them.  I don't know, if they take my skin, can I still be buried in an open casket or not?  What happens to my body if they harvest my ribs?  Will I be lying in my coffin looking like a deflated balloon with legs attached?  These are some of the hopelessly ridiculous thoughts that were running through my head, but I have to find out those answers before I can say yes.  I like the thought that I might still be able to help someone after I am gone.  It was a bit unnerving to be alive and well, but still planning for my eventual death.  At the same time, I am satisfied that I signed up.  Maybe one day I'll be the perfect match for someone in need of a transplant.  It might be some comfort to my family that even after death, I have the potential to live on through organ donation.  


In the meantime, I'm off to research answers for my questions.

Happy Day!
-Kristi-

2 comments:

  1. This is very powerful! I am intrigued. What a wonderful thing you did. I like your thoughts on being a good role model and being the best you -you can be for your daughter. I want this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris! This book is going to have quite an impact, I think. It'll be a pretty good learning experience, for sure. I opened it, at random, to a page that said "Stand on the corner with a sign that says 'You are perfect.'" I might save that one for last! You can buy the book at Barnes & Noble, or click the link below the picture :)

      Delete