Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Three Weeks Off and a Birthday Party



I have been a busy, busy momma these last three weeks.  My little baby turned three years old and to celebrate, we threw her a party.  I love throwing parties so much that I have asked my husband-of almost four years-at least a hundred times if we can get married again just so I can plan another reception.  It's surprising, really, but the answer is always no.  It's a good thing I know that he loves me or I might start to develop a complex!

Over the next several days, I will be posting pictures and tutorials here and there of the things I made and/or put together for the occasion.  Today I'm starting with a recipe for gumdrops.  I saw these on Bakerella's website and knew I had to give them a try for The Roo's Sweet Shoppe themed party. Since I took three weeks off to craft, create, bake and make all the party details, I figured I would have enough time to make a batch of these delightful little treats.  For some reason, I waited until almost the last minute.  So, on the Thursday before the party (which was on Sunday) at about 11:00 at night, I made a batch and a half of rainbow gumdrops.  Thankfully they were easy, pretty and so darn fun to make.  I was finished just after midnight and the results were unbelievably spectacular.  I will definitely make these again!  Here is the recipe and how I did it.  Enjoy!




Sweet Shoppe Rainbow Gumdrops

Ingredients
9 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups cold water
2 1/4 cups boiling water
6 cups sugar
flavoring oils/extracts for candy making
food coloring
additional sugar for coating

-In a large pot, mix cold water and gelatin and mix with a wire whisk thoroughly to combine, let sit for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon of flavoring oil and 1-2 drops food coloring to the bottom of each pan.

 
-Add boiling water, stirring until all of the gelatin has dissolved.  Add sugar and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.  Continue to boil for 25 minutes, stirring constantly.  (*tip-place a wooden spoon across the top of your pot to prevent it from boiling over.)
 

-Ladle the mixture evenly into each pan (one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me) and then stir with a small whisk or fork to incorporate the food coloring and flavoring oil evenly.


-Cover with plastic wrap and place pans in the fridge overnight, or at least 8 hours.
-Spray both sides of a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut the gelatin into 1/2" squares. 
-Spray both sides of a thin cookie spatula with cooking spray and gently but forcefully wriggle the spatula under the gelatin to loosen it from the pan.  Use your hands to peel-pull it out of the pan and drop into a bowl of granulated sugar.


Coat all sides of the gelatin in sugar and place on wax
paper. 


Leave the gumdrops out on your counter to cure for two days.

from top to bottom: marshmallow, apple, lime, banana, tangerine, strawberry and bubblegum gumdrops.
Come back tomorrow for another birthday tutorial!


 
 
     

2 comments: