Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Update: Ribbon Chaise

You know what's funny? Ok, not funny. The day after I posted about Mack and my love for my Peerless Super Deluxe, I blew the motor in the Peerless. And when I say "blew the motor", I mean that it started spewing flames and sparks from the front right corner AS I WAS SEWING. Um. Yeah...


Fortunately, I was the only one home so Roo didn't have to see that. She's pretty terrified of fire so you can imagine how that might've been traumatic for her. 

Now I'm the one who is traumatized, I'm without a machine to sew on! Mom still has Mack and even if he was here I'm not sure I could use him, he's that pretty. I've been occupying my time by cutting projects that are on the list and taking care of computer work. Dreaded computer work, I hate it. We ordered a new motor which should be here on Monday, YIPPEE! 

{heavenly pile of Renaissance Ribbons!}

Today I started working on putting together the ribbon fabric for that Victorian chaise I sanded and sealed last month. This is going to be so gorgeous. 

{the layout}

I've made several projects using ribbon and have developed a technique to make my own fabric. First I arrange the ribbon however I happen to like it. I like to mix color and pattern and I'm not afraid to put something unexpected or just slightly off into the line up. If there's enough color involved, it will make sense in the long run.

{supplies for making ribbon fabric}

{in progress}

Start by carefully applying a thin line of glue along the edge of the ribbon; press other ribbon in place making sure you are even all the way down. I'm working with about 9-10' of 39 different ribbons for this particular project. I am really happy with the way it's turning out so far!

 My table isn't long enough so I have to pull the fabric off the edge of the table and glue in sections. My back started to hurt, so I decided to take a break and finish tomorrow. My friend Angela, who hijacked my blog a couple months ago, is coming tomorrow to sew,  I think I'll finish gluing it then. 


So tell me, please...what's the coolest project you've worked on?

Happy gluing!
-Kristi-

1 comment:

  1. Possibly the coolest project I've worked on is the one I'm working on right now, but I can't show any pictures because I'm thinking of pitching the pattern to a magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete