Friday, June 13, 2014

Modern Medallion: week two

Last week my friend Angela came on to guest post about my week for Crystal of Two Little Aussie Bird's Modern Medallion. I was SO VERY thankful to have her help because I was in Michigan without internet! ACK! Lucky for me, Angela is not only a brilliant writer but she's also a brilliant quilter (and friend!) This week I am home and she is out of town. 

I added the Plain Jane border to my New York Beauty Contest medallion. I used a hot pink linen which I think looks really good. I'm still working on my Drunk Geese border, which is apparently quite a challenge for me!
I cut 80 3" squares and 80 2 1/2"x3" rectangles and sat down to get to work.

Oh. Crap. I just cut 80 rectangles at 2 1/2"x3" not 2"x3 1/2". GROAN. Fine. No big deal, we'll just set aside those mistake rectangles and use them elsewhere...like maybe in my schnitzel & boo Mini Quilt Swap partner's quilt...

After a little digging, I came up with a piece of white linen with a silver tinselly thread stripe throughout. Perfection! 80 rectangles cut the right way AND NOW we're ready to get started.

(Actually, I like this better!) I'm still pretty new to quilting, I've always been a garment/3-D sewist so the whole Modern/Wonky thing is something that I'm just not used to. I dunno, maybe it's the angles. I finally had six geese sewn together but not after seam ripping three times. I'm eleven geese into it now and I'm still trying to get my thoughts around how to do it wonky not wrong. It's getting easier as I go, but I had to call it a night. I'm just too tired I think. I'll pick it back up tomorrow but for now, this is where I am:
I have decided that going with just two fabrics, instead of several different low-values and several different colorful scraps, for the Drunk Geese was perfect for me. I love that Crystal's pattern gives us the freedom to do whatever we want. We're designing and creating at the same time. That's pretty dang cool. The uniformity in color will tone down the wonky geese in my quilt, which is great for me because I have plans to get crazy with those awesome little pluses. Here's a close up of my progress: 
I do love me some animal print! Especially zebra!

Anyway, check out Angela's post last week for the links to check out everyone else's progress. You should also definitely scroll through the #modernmedallion hashtag on Instagram. There are some seriously awesome quilts happening over there! I'll update during the week as I get the chance!

Happy Quilting!
Kristi

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! I love the pink border ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink border is scrumptious and those geese will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete